Cawood is a large village situated on the southern bank of the River Ouse a little over five miles from Selby. The Ouse is crossed here by a swing bridge which dates from 1872.
Cawood is an attractive village with many historic associations.
It once had a castle, a residence for the Archbishop of York, which was visited by kings and queens when journeying between the north of England and the south. Cardinal Wolsey also stayed there, and on his last visit was arrested for high treason.
The castle fell into disrepair in the early 17th century and the only part of the building that survives is the Gatehouse. This is now owned by The Landmark Trust and is let as holiday accommodation.
The Castle Garth is a large area of unspoiled grassland in the centre of the village. It was part of the Castle and was probably used as a garden in medieval times.
Wolsey Walk is a 5-mile circular walk around the village.
The village church is dedicated to All Saints. It dates back to the 12th century.
Cawood has an annual Craft Festival over August Bank Holiday weekend, in order to raise money for the upkeep of the church.OS grid reference SE 575 375
Useful and informative links