Saltaire is a Victorian model village near Shipley, by the River Aire and the Leeds and Liverpool Canal. The village has been declared as a World Heritage Site.
Saltaire was founded in 1853 by Sir Titus Salt, an enlightened industrialist. The name of the village combines the founder's surname with the name of the river. Salt moved his entire business (five separate mills) from Bradford to this site partly to provide better facilities for his workers than were available in Bradford and partly to site his large textile mill by a canal and a railway.
Salt built neat stone houses for his workers, wash-houses with running water, bath-houses, a hospital, as well as an Institute for recreation and education, with a library, a reading room, a concert hall, billiard room, science laboratory and gymnasium. The village also provided almshouses, allotments, a park and a boathouse.
Sir Titus Salt died in 1876 and is interred in the mausoleum adjacent to the Congregational Church.
Victoria Hall (originally the Saltaire Institute) is used for meetings and concerts, and also houses the Victorian Reed Organ Museum.
Salts Mill closed in 1986, and renovation to the complex began the following year. Today it houses a mixture of business, commerce, leisure and residential use. The main mill building houses the 1853 Gallery: several large rooms given over to the works of the Bradford-born artist David Hockney: including paintings, drawings, photomontages and stage sets.OS grid reference SE 135 375
Useful and informative links