Whitby is an attractive fishing port and tourist resort at the mouth of the River Esk. The town spreads up the steep sides of the narrow valley carved out by the river's course. At this point the coast curves round, so the town faces more north than east.
Whitby has a long tradition of maritime and ecclesiastic history, and the old town contains quaint houses built in steep and narrow cobbled streets.
Whitby Abbey was founded in 657, and is dedicated to St Hilda, the first abbess. After being destroyed by the Vikings, it was refounded as a Benedictine abbey in 1078. The present ruins date from the 13th century.
The parish church of St Mary, of Norman origin, is reached by an arduous climb up 199 steps.
Whitby Museum is run by Whitby Literary & Philosophical Society, which was established in 1823 and has around 800 members. It is one of the very few remaining Literary & Philosophical Societies that still runs an independent Museum. The older parts are often regarded as a 'Museum within a Museum' and have the atmosphere of an Edwardian Museum. The extension, opened in 2005, offers a costume gallery, temporary exhibition, lecture room and tearoom facilities.OS grid reference NZ8934910950
AccommodationFind hotels in or near Whitby
Local AttractionsCaptain Cook Memorial Museum, Whitby Museum and the new
Born in Whitby:
Storm Jameson (1891-1986) - novelist.
Useful and informative links